Vegan shamrock shake lets the dairy-free get in on a yearly tradition
Don't waste your time looking for a pot o' gold at the end of the rainbow. This year's lucky St. Patrick's Day treat comes in the form of a festive green shake that also happens to be vegan-friendly, made with coconut milk ice cream, mint extract and dairy-free whipped cream.
Shamrock shakes are always popular around St. Patrick’s Day. Since these shakes are generally made from real ice cream, those who are lactose intolerant or vegan haven’t been able to sip on this festive frosty beverage... until now.
I used a coconut milk-based ice cream in this version along with plant-based food coloring to give it the vibrant green hue. Top these vegan milkshakes with lots of dairy-free whipped topping or even coconut whipped cream for an indulgent treat.
Vegan shamrock shake recipe
- Green plant-based food coloring (from your local health food store)
- 2 cups vanilla coconut milk ice cream (or any other dairy-free ice cream)
- 1-1/2 cups vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pure mint extract
- Dairy-free whipped topping or coconut whipped cream, for garnish
- To a blender, add all the ingredients, and blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Divide the shake between 2 glasses, and garnish with dairy-free whipped topping.
- Top with green sprinkles, a cherry or other decorations, if desired.
- Serve this drink immediately.