Corned beef grilled cheese will be your new St. Patrick's Day tradition
What could be better than a gooey grilled cheese straight off the griddle, you ask? The answer — an upgraded grilled cheese made with crispy pumpernickel bread, piles of corned beef and mountains of melted cheese, perfect for a festive St. Patrick's Day feast.
There is nothing I love more than sitting down and eating a giant grilled cheese. In fact, whenever I have leftover meat, I always figure out a way to enjoy it on a grilled cheese. That's why I knew I had to make a grilled cheese with my leftover corned beef. This sandwich is the perfect combination of salty corned beef, sharp Irish cheddar, homemade Russian dressing and crispy pumpernickel bread. You're going to love this sandwich.
Corned beef grilled cheese recipe
- 4 slices pumpernickel bread
- Russian dressing (recipe follows)
- 4 slices Irish cheddar cheese
- 6 slices corned beef
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Lay out the bread, and start building your sandwich.
- Spread a thin layer of Russian dressing on all slices of the bread.
- Top 2 slices of the bread in the following order: 1 slice cheese, 3 slices corned beef and 1 slice cheese.
- Top each sandwich with the remaining slice of bread, Russian dressing side down.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Once the butter has melted, add the sandwiches to the skillet, and cook until the bottoms are crispy and the cheese is starting to melt. Flip the sandwiches over, and cook until the other sides are crispy and all the cheese has melted.
- Serve the finished sandwiches with extra Russian dressing for dipping.
Homemade Russian dressing recipe
Yields 3/4 cup
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons sweet relish
- 1 tablespoon grated sweet onion
- In a small bowl, mix together all the ingredients, and let sit in the refrigerator until ready to use.
More corned beef recipes
Updated by Bethany Ramos on 2/26/16