These are sticky sweet with melted sugar, warm and just oh so good. Dipped in dark chocolate Nutella sauce, this is really one of the best fruit treats you will ever have.
When the sugar melts and coats the plantains, it’s an invitation to a sweet and delicious time at the table. This has been one of my favorite desserts for long as I can remember.
These are quite simple to prepare with only three ingredients — plantains, sugar and oil. To take it to a higher level of enjoyment, melt some dark chocolate and Nutella together. Dip them while they’re still warm, and, I am telling you, you will absolutely love them.
Fried caramelized plantain skewers with dark chocolate Nutella sauce recipe
- 7 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Nutella
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 ripe plantains
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Peanut oil (or any oil for deep-frying)
- Over medium heat, in a small saucepan, warm up some water (about 1/3 of the saucepan), then put a smaller saucepan on top to make a water bath or bain marie.
- Melt the chopped chocolate in the top saucepan. When it’s completely melted, add the Nutella and the milk. Mix well. Add more milk if you think it’s too thick. Turn off the heat when you have reached the right consistency. Keep the sauce warm.
- Peel and discard both ends of the plantains. Slice the plantains into 8 pieces each, then roll them in brown sugar. Put aside the sugar that remains.
- Over medium heat, in a thick-bottomed, tall saucepan, heat the peanut oil. When it’s hot (ideally, between 340 to 400 degrees F), pour in the remaining brown sugar and wait for it to melt. It will float when it has melted.
- Drop in the plantains and fry for about 2 minutes. Pass them through the melted sugar to coat them. With a slotted spoon, remove them when they are cooked through.
- Insert each plantain piece with skewers.
- Serve with the warm chocolate Nutella sauce.
More recipes with plantains
Plantain pouches with nougat and rum caramel sauce recipe
Plantain-stuffed chile rellenos recipe
Plantains drizzled with cream