You know what’s better than a regular cupcake? One with frosting stuffed inside! Frosting is my favorite part of cupcakes and cakes. So you know I’m totally on board with one that has frosting on top and in the middle.
As much as I love food coloring, it’s nice to have some St. Patrick’s Day desserts that aren’t green from head to toe. This Funfetti cupcake looks like your average sweet on the outside. But one bite and you’ve got green, luscious frosting oozing from the middle. St. Patrick’s Day has never looked so good.
What made these so fun is the addition of the sprinkles to the batter. It added just one more fun surprise element to the cake batter.
Once you mix in the sprinkles, you pour the cupcake batter into liners and bake. It’s much easier to fill the cupcakes once they are baked.
While the cupcakes bake, you can prepare the filling. For this, I simply used homemade white buttercream. You can use store-bought, but I’m obsessed with rich buttercream so that totally makes a difference. To get a beautiful green color, simply mix in green food dye until you get the right color.
Now, the best part! When filling, you simply scoop out a small cone hole in the center of the cupcake. Put your frosting into a pastry bag and pipe it into the center of the cupcake. You can put the cone top over the batter but I just left it like this.
Once the cupcakes have been filled, you simply frost them with the remaining white buttercream. If you want a lot of green for your kids or something, definitely tint this green. I loved the contrast of the white and green so I left the top white.
Decorating time! I really had no idea what I was doing with these so I just lined the rim of the tops with green chocolate chips and added some Funfetti sprinkles. You can honestly do whatever your little heart desires with these.
St. Patrick’s Day frosting-stuffed cupcakes recipe
Makes about 12
- 1 box white cake mix
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup nonpareil sprinkles
For the icing
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Green food dye
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the cake mix, egg whites, oil and water together. Carefully mix in the sprinkles. Pour the batter into the liners, filling about 2/3 full.
- Bake for about 18-22 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool completely. While cupcakes cool, beat the icing. Place the softened butter, vanilla and powdered sugar into a stand mixer. Beat until fluffy. Gradually add the heavy cream and beat until no lumps remain. Separate the icing into two bowls. Tint one dark green and keep the other white.
- Once cooled, remove the center of the cupcakes. Pipe the green icing into the center of each cupcake. Then frost the tops with white and garnish with more sprinkles. If you want, add some green chocolate chips for extra garnish.