Meatless Monday: Ramen noodles with tempeh and spicy peanut sauce
Ramen noodles might be a blast from your past that you'd like to forget. But now that some time has gone by since college (or if you want to enhance your current college experience), give this recipe a go!
Haven't had ramen noodles since college? Pick up a few packs and don't fear! This Meatless Monday recipe for ramen noodles with tempeh and spicy peanut sauce is anything but lame.
Once in a while it's nice to have a noodle on hand that cooks up super-quickly. Enter ramen noodles. While you might get college flashbacks as you purchase a few packets, I can guarantee this recipe is tastier than any college ramen experience you've had.
The spicy peanut sauce in this recipe is a little sweet, a little savory and a little spicy (I wanted to eat it on just about everything), and the tempeh adds great substance to this dish. It doesn't matter what flavor ramen packs you buy because you'll toss out the little envelope (powdered flavoring) that comes with them. This is just the right meal to serve when you're short on time and looking for something full on flavor.
Ramen noodles with tempeh and spicy peanut sauce recipe
- 2 (3 ounce) packets ramen noodles (any kind will work since you’ll discard the flavor packet)
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons garlic-chili paste
- 3-4 dashes hot sauce (more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 ounces tempeh, sliced thin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeds and membrane removed, sliced into thin pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts for garnish
- 2 green onions, white and green parts diced for garnish
- To make the sauce, combine the water and peanut butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk together to combine.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, honey, garlic-chili paste and hot sauce. Whisk so all the ingredients blend together into a smooth sauce. Keep the pan on the lowest setting.
- Add the vegetable oil to a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the tempeh and cook, flipping, for a few minutes.
- Begin to cook the ramen noodles according to the package directions (this should take about 3 minutes).
- Add the garlic and red pepper to the tempeh and cook, stirring, just until the ramen noodles are finished.
- Drain the noodles and add them to a large bowl along with the red pepper and garlic.
- Pour some of the sauce over the noodles and tempeh mixture and toss to combine. Add more sauce as needed.
- Serve in individual bowls and garnish with the chopped peanuts and green onion.
Rave on over ramen!