Eat like an Italian: Zabaione with coffee and chocolate
With these ingredients alone, your energy level will skyrocket. Try this delicious Italian natural energizer for dessert.
It's a power-packed energy food disguised as an elegant small-portioned dessert in a glass. There are not many ingredients in it, but every single one of them contributes to its energy-boosting characteristics. Coffee, egg yolks, sugar, chocolate and wine. If those cannot boost you, I don't really know what else can! Zabaione is one of the classic Italian desserts that's always good to serve when you are expecting guests because aside from its ease of preparation, it's also delicious.
Zabaione with coffee and chocolate recipe
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup Marsala wine (or Moscati d'Asti wine)
- 1/8 cup espresso (cooled)
- Chocolate shavings or balls
- On low heat, in a medium saucepan, warm up some water, filling about 1/3 of the saucepan. Don't let it boil. While waiting for it to warm up, prepare the zabaione in another smaller saucepan.
- In a small saucepan, whisk the sugar and egg yolks together until it becomes foamy and light yellow.
- Gradually pour in the wine and then the espresso, whisking all the time.
- When the zabaione is lightly creamy, transfer the saucepan on top of the other saucepan with warm water, making a water bath or bain-mare. Do not let the zabaione boil. Continue whisking for about 8 more minutes or until the zabaione has reached a good thickness. Let it cool down a bit.
- When it's not hot anymore, pour in individual glasses (small portions) and garnish with the chocolate.
- Serve warm or cold with biscuits or as sauce for cakes.