Hand pies make great snacks whether they are savory or sweet. You can stuff them with whatever you want. Feel like having ricotta, chocolate and pears together in one delicious bite?
Hand pies — sweet or savory — are wonderful snacks because their sizes are just perfect for a few bites to enjoy. They’re also a good mess-free solution to take to picnics, well, maybe just the flakes will crumble down to your clothes. But that’s the fun of hand pies, isn’t it?
The best part is when you sink your teeth in them and taste what is waiting for you. Have you ever tried chocolate, ricotta and pears together? I think you should. It’s another surprising combination for your family and friends.
Chocolate, ricotta and pear hand pies recipe
- 1/3 cup chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1 tablespoon water
- 5 ounces ricotta
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup pear, finely chopped
- 13 x 10 inches premade rectangular puff pastry
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- Over medium heat, prepare a saucepan with some water then another saucepan on top of it (water bath or bain-marie). Melt the chocolate in the top saucepan. Add the rum and water, then let it cook for 2 minutes, mixing. Let it cool down.
- In a bowl, mix the ricotta, sugar, pears and cooled chocolate.
- Cut the puff pastry to square pieces, around 3 x 3 inches.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon ricotta mixture on top of a square puff pastry then cover with another puff pastry. Using the tines of a fork, seal all the sides of the pastries.
- Lay the hand pies on a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Brush the top part of each hand pie with the egg wash.
- Bake in a preheated oven of 375 degrees F for 20 minutes or until the hand pies turn golden brown.