Turn the traditional flavors of St. Patrick’s Day into fun and festive tacos.
I’ve never really been into St. Patrick’s Day. Green just isn’t my color, and I’m about as far from Irish as one can get. That is until I made my first corned beef at home and realized how good it could be. So for everyone out there who thinks the traditional preparation with cabbage leaves a bit to be desired (because I sure do), this one’s for you. It’s a Mexican spin on the Irish holiday, and it really couldn’t be tastier. The saltiness of the corned beef goes really well with the creamy and spicy slaw. Wrapped up in a tortilla, it’s the perfect holiday food.
Corned beef tacos with spicy cabbage slaw recipe
- 2-1/2 pounds corned beef with spice packet
- 1/2 small red cabbage, sliced
- 1 small jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Flour tortillas
- Chopped green onions for garnish
- Place corned beef in a slow cooker, fatty side up. Add the contents of the spice packet (most store-bought corned beef come with this) to the slow cooker and fill with water until it just covers the meat. Cook on low for 10-11 hours (this is perfect to set up overnight).
- After 10-11 hours, the meat will literally be falling apart. Transfer to a cutting board, scrape off the fat and shred the corned beef. Set aside.
- Prepare the slaw by combining the cabbage, jalapeño and pepper in a bowl.
- Stir together the yogurt, Dijon, apple cider and salt and pepper in another small bowl.
- Add the dressing to the cabbage mixture and toss, fully coating the slaw.
- Place the shredded beef on a flour tortilla, top with slaw and garnish with green onions to serve.