Spicy cabbage and mushroom stir-fry
Try this quick-and-easy stir-fry as a healthy side dish for dinner tonight.
Spicy cabbage and mushroom stir-fry recipe
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chives. chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1 pound button mushrooms, whole with largest mushrooms cut in half
- 4 cups cabbage, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha or other chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 cups sushi rice
- 1 cup quinoa
- 4 tablespoons sushi seasoning (vinegar)
Note: Facts Up Front has created a label to make sure you're getting nutritional bang for your calorie buck. You can find it on the front of most packaged foods, outlining per-serving calories, fat, salt, and more.
Cook rice and quinoa
Combine sushi rice and quinoa. Rinse well with water until water runs clear. Use the amounts of water specified on the package. This can be cooked in a rice cooker on the white rice setting or on the stovetop. For the stovetop, combine rice, quinoa and water. Heat to a boil; cover tightly. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 30 minutes. Turn off the heat and let stand without lifting the lid for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, begin your stir-fry.
Chop the vegetables
Chop the cabbage, mushrooms, chives, and ginger. Stir-fry cooks incredibly quickly, so it is best to have all your ingredients chopped before you begin.
Stir-fry the vegetables
Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat until hot. Add in the peanut oil, ginger, chives and garlic. Stir-fry for about 20 seconds. Pay close attention as they will scorch easily. Add in the mushrooms. Stir-fry for about 30 seconds. Pay close attention as they will scorch easily. Stir constantly. Quickly add in the cabbage, chili sauce, chicken stock and soy sauce.
Continue until fully cooked
Continue to stir-fry for another 5 minutes or so until the mushrooms are fully cooked. Remove from heat.
Serve it up
Just before you serve, drizzle with sesame oil and give the mixture a quick stir. At this point your rice and quinoa should be finished cooking. Sprinkle sushi seasoning over the warm rice and quinoa and stir. Fill plates with quinoa rice mixture. Scoop stir-fry on top to serve.
- Peanut oil is used for flavor as well as its high smoke point. It can cook at higher temperatures without scorching. If someone has a peanut allergy. try using sesame oil.
- Mixing quinoa in with sushi rice allows you to sneak in some extra protein and fiber. The taste and consistency are so similar nobody will ever know the difference. You can mix both together and cook at the same time.
- Sushi seasoning vinegar can be found in most Asian foods sections of the grocery store. If they do not have sushi seasoning specifically, they will have rice vinegar which makes a good substitution. Mix together 1/2 cup of rice vinegar with 2 tablespoons of sugar and 2 teaspoons of salt as a replacement.