Cold weather got you craving a hearty soup? You’ll want to try a bowl of this gluten-free soup. It’s full of flavor and super satisfying.
Come in from the cold and try this recipe for gluten-free chicken soup with bacon, Brussels sprouts and beans. It’s so hearty, there’s no need for noodles!
Who doesn’t love the combo of bacon with Brussels sprouts? It’s almost as good as chocolate and peanut butter! Combined with beans and chicken, this soup is filling and full of flavor, and I’m willing to bet you’ll make it a few times before all the snow melts.
This isn’t Grandma’s chicken soup, but it’s delicious in its own right. You’ll love that it’s a snap to make. No need for a long simmering time (it cooks in about 15 minutes), and you can use leftover chicken from a previous meal if you have it (rotisserie chicken makes things come together quickly, too). Did I mention bacon?
Gluten can be found in many different foods and products, from ketchup to soy sauce to candy and seasonings. While SheKnows.com tries to ensure these recipes are gluten-free, carefully read the ingredient labels of all food and food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are also gluten-free.
Gluten-free chicken soup with bacon, Brussels sprouts & beans recipe
- 5 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled (reserve about 1 strip’s worth for garnish)
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 2 cups shredded Brussels sprouts
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups gluten-free chicken broth, plus 1 cup water
- 1 (15-ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3/4 pound cooked chicken, shredded
- Cook the bacon in a large Dutch oven or stockpot. When crisp, remove and set aside. Remove most of the cooking fat, but leave about a tablespoon in the pot.
- Over medium heat, add the onion to the pot and cook for about 4 minutes, or until translucent. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook for a few more minutes, stirring and scraping up the bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add the garlic and cook for just about 1 minute. Add the chicken broth plus 1 cup of water, the thyme, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Stir and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to simmer. Add the beans and continue to simmer for about 15 minutes.
- After 10 minutes of cooking, add the chicken and the crumbled bacon. Stir.
- Remove from the heat and serve in individual bowls garnished with the reserved crumbled bacon.
Take comfort in this flavorful chicken soup!