Caramelized sweet potato skewers
Sticky sweet potatoes on sticks! What's more enjoyable than that? Oh, did I mention that they are also absolutely delicious?
Sweet potatoes can be in savory dishes and in desserts, too. I like them both ways, depending on how they are cooked. Here is something sweet that we can all enjoy as a dessert or a snack. They are called "camote cue" in the Philippines and are one of the most popular street foods there. All you need are three ingredients, and you are in for a delicious, simple snack.
Caramelized sweet potato skewers recipe
Yields 8-10 skewers
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup peanut oil (or other type of oil good for deep-frying)
- 8-10 skewers
- Over medium heat, in a medium saucepan, pour the peanut oil and wait for it to become hot.
- When the oil is hot (preferably 345 to 375 degrees F), pour in the sugar and let it melt. The melted sugar should start floating.
- Drop in the sweet potato slices carefully and deep-fry for about 6-8 minutes. They should get a nice, golden color. With the use of kitchen tongs, coat the sweet potato with the melted sugar in the oil by making the sweet potatoes pass through the melted sugar. Once fully-coated, transfer them to a plate.
- With the help of the kitchen tongs, insert the sweet potatoes in the skewers, about 3 pieces each.
- Serve while still warm.