These organic raw honey oat bran muffins are lightly sweetened with a hint of fresh citrus taste. These muffins are a healthy, delicious way to easily add fiber to your diet.
These rustic bran muffins are great for a quick breakfast on the go or as a snack. I replaced ordinary white sugar with organic raw honey to lend a bit of sweetness and fresh orange juice and zest to add a bit of a citrus flavor. Make these ahead of time and store them in an airtight container to enjoy throughout the week.
Raw honey bran muffins with orange zest recipe
Yields 1 dozen
- 1-1/4 cups organic whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup organic oat bran
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup raw organic coconut oil, warmed
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 organic eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 large sweet orange, juiced and zested
- 2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- 1/4 cup raw organic honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a muffin pan with muffin papers.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients and mix well.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine all of the wet ingredients and mix very well until smooth.
- Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, mixing very well. Allow the mixture to sit for about 5 minutes. Using a spoon begin to fill each muffin cup about 3/4 full with the muffin batter.
- Bake the muffins for 16-18 minutes or until the center of the muffins are baked all the way through. Transfer the muffins to a wire rack and allow to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.