Ravioli can be a little square (see what we did there?) so update it with a fun shape in time for Valentine’s Day. Plus, now you can stuff your heart with cheese without worry of a heart attack or cardiac arrest.
These crispy heart-shaped raviolis are boiled, battered and baked, giving each bite a crunchy outside with a soft and oh-so-cheesy inside. Paired with a marinara dipping sauce, this will be a fun appetizer for your valentine or family.
Crispy baked heart ravioli recipe
Serves about 6
- 1 pound homemade pasta (use this egg recipe)
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups whole wheat bread or cracker crumbs
- 4 tablespoons mozzarella cheese
- 3 teaspoons dried basil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cornmeal for dusting
- Marinara sauce for dipping
- Roll the pasta into sheets (using a Kitchen Aid stand mixer set to number 6 or 7). Cover with a damp cloth and mix the mascarpone, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese together. Stir in fresh basil and salt and pepper.
- Working with one sheet at a time, stamp out heart shapes with a heart-shaped cookie cutter. Working quickly, put about 1-1/2 teaspoons of filling into the center and top with another heart. Dampen the edges with water and, using a fork, press down the sides so the filling doesn’t escape while boiling. Immediately cover hearts with a towel so they don’t dry out.
- Repeat until all of the pasta sheets have been used and filling is gone.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease two large baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray and dust slightly with a bit of cornmeal.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt and toss in ravioli. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until they float to the top. Drain and pat dry.
- Mix the egg white and place in a shallow bowl. In another bowl, mix the dried spices, breadcrumbs and mozzarella.
- One at a time, dip the ravioli into the egg white and then into the breadcrumbs. Place on the greased baking sheet.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes, or until crispy.