Stuffed bread, calzone, stromboli… call it whatever you want. We just call it delicious!
You know those nights when all you want is cheesy comfort and calories just don’t matter? Usually we reach for the phone and call the local pizza joint when those hit (a bit too often lately, if we’re being honest), but stuffed bread is just as easy and packs even more cheesy goodness into each slice than a normal pie. I keep at least one store-bought pizza dough package on hand in the freezer at all times for easy meals and this one certainly fits the bill. Get creative with the stuffing, too, just don’t skimp on that cheese!
Spinach, cheese and pepperoni stuffed bread recipe
- 1 package store-bought refrigerated pizza dough
- 2 cups chopped baby spinach
- 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella, plus extra for topping
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces pepperoni slices
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- On a floured surface, roll the pizza dough out into a large rectangle.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the shredded mozzarella on top of the dough leaving about a 1-inch border of dough plain.
- Spread the spinach on top of the cheese.
- Sprinkle another 1/2 cup of the shredded mozzarella on top of the spinach.
- Layer the pepperoni slices evenly on top.
- Lay the thin slices of fresh mozzarella on top of the pepperoni.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella on top.
- Roll the dough lengthwise tucking the sides in as you go.
- Place on the baking sheet, seam side down.
- Sprinkle the top with the little bit of extra shredded mozzarella and bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven, let cool for 3-5 minutes before slicing.