Sunday dinner: Thai red curry shrimp with green beans
Curry is a popular dish that has a lot to offer. This Sunday dinner recipe is rich and indulgent and loaded with color and flavor!
Don't you love it when it turns out that you really can make your favorite restaurant dish at home? That's how I feel about this Sunday dinner recipe for Thai red curry shrimp with green beans. It's easy to make and it turns out great. No tablecloths or reservations needed!
This recipe makes a rich and tasty meal. The sweet, creaminess of the dish comes from the coconut milk, and that makes a perfect match for the Thai red curry paste. No green beans in the house? Add spinach or zucchini. No fish sauce? Add low-sodium soy sauce as a stand-in. Out of rice? Use noodles. It's all good.
Thai red curry shrimp with green beans recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 1 (13-1/2 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (or low-sodium soy sauce if you don’t have fish sauce)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups green beans
- Zest from 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro, plus extra as garnish
- 4 cups cooked rice
- Add the oil to a large pan over medium heat. When hot, add the shallot. Cook for a few minutes until soft, then add the garlic and ginger. Add the curry paste and mix.
- Increase the heat and add the coconut milk and broth. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer.
- Add the tomato paste, fish sauce, brown sugar, and red pepper flakes. Cook, simmering, for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the shrimp, green beans, lime zest and juice, and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the shrimp turns pink. Add the salt, and stir.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and add the cilantro.
- Sere warm over cooked rice. Garnish with additional cilantro if you’d like.
Indulge in this international favorite!