These potatoes are literally overflowing with Mexican-inspired flavors and textures. Chorizo, black beans and herbs really lend a flavor boost to this easy yet filling dish.
Are you ready to take your baked potato to a whole new level? If you answered yes, then this recipe is a must try! Even though sweet potatoes are super healthy, they can be a little on the boring side but not any longer. Here I stuffed these babies with all kinds of yummy ingredients such as chorizo and refried black beans. I also used a secret ingredient — Greek yogurt — in place of the sour cream. It adds protein and is good for you yet gives you that same creamy tangy flavor as sour cream.
Loaded Mexican stuffed sweet potatoes recipe
Serves 4 (1 potato per person)
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, washed and dried
- 1 pound chorizo
- 1/2 cup refried black beans
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup minced red and green onions
- Greek yogurt or sour cream, for topping
- Fresh cilantro, for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Poke holes in each of the sweet potatoes and wrap in aluminum foil. Bake for 45 minutes or until softened. Remove from foil and set aside.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Remove the chorizo from the casing and cook until juices run clear.
- In a bowl add the cooked chorizo, the refried black beans and seasonings, mixing well. Stuff each of the potatoes with the chorizo mixture and top with shredded pepper jack cheese. Return to the oven for 5 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Garnish with cherry tomatoes, red and green onions and a dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream. Finish with fresh cilantro if desired.