Easy heart-shaped napoleons
Napoleons are delicious but can be somewhat of a pain to make correctly. We are going to show you a quick-and-easy way to make them at home.
Napoleons are one of my favorite dessert treats. Most of the time, I buy them from the local diner, but this year I decided I wanted to make them at home for Valentine's Day. I also decided to lighten the load by taking a few shortcuts.
Instead of a complicated pastry cream, I made a simple homemade pudding and used store-bought puff pastry. You're going to love this tasty treat!
Easy heart-shaped napoleons recipe
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla paste
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup seedless raspberry jam, stirred
- 1/3 cup melted chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat liner.
- Roll out thawed puff pastry and, using a large heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out as many hearts as possible. I was able to get 7 large hearts.
- Add to the fridge while you prepare your pudding.
- In a medium pot add milk. Cook over medium-high heat until the milk is warmed and tiny bubbles appear around the edge of the pot.
- In a small bowl, mix together sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Slowly whisk in the sugar mixture and cook on medium until the mixture is thick and will coat the back of a spatula. Make sure the pudding doesn't boil.
- Once the pudding is thick, remove from the heat and stir in vanilla bean paste and butter.
- Let the pudding cool.
- Remove the puff pastry from the fridge and add to the preheated oven. Bake for 12-15 minutes until the pastry is fully puffed and lightly browned.
- Let the cooked pastry cool on the counter.
- Once cooled, take a sharp knife and cut the pastry in half, leaving a top and bottom.
- Start assembling your pastry by spreading a little jam on the inside of the top and bottom piece of puff pastry. Add a few spoonfuls of pudding, spread out and then top with puff pastry top.
- Once all the pastry has been assembled, drizzle them with melted chocolate.