Make a five-star Valentine's Day dinner at home
Staying in for Valentine's Day? Dinner can be just as special with simple filet mignon and garlicky green beans and potatoes.
I can't even remember the last time my husband and I went out to dinner on Valentine's Day. It might've been when I was still in college, and he came to visit, which is more than a decade ago (and now I feel legitimately old). Honestly though, who enjoys a limited menu, specific seating times and a restaurant full of people around you on what's supposed to be a romantic night for just the two of you? Not me. I'd much rather stay in, splurge on a nice juicy filet and enjoy our meal together without the pressure of feeling like I need to leave for the next reservation. So grab a bottle of wine, some porcini salt and a good dessert and enjoy your night!
Porcini salt filet mignon recipe
- 2 filet mignon steaks (about 1 pound total)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons porcini salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Balsamic vinegar for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat butter in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat on the stovetop until melted.
- Season one side of both filets with the salt and pepper. Place the seasoned side down in the skillet.
- While that side cooks, season the other side with the salt and pepper.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes on each side until nice and brown and crispy.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes depending on the thickness of your filet, until medium-rare.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and let rest.
- Drizzle some balsamic vinegar on the bottom of a plate, place the filet on top and serve.
Garlicky potatoes and green beans recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds small red potatoes, washed and quartered
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- Dash red pepper flakes
- Big pinch kosher salt
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water.
- Bring pot to a boil, reduce to medium heat and cook until almost tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the green beans to the pot and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a small skillet over medium heat.
- Add the olive oil, garlic, red pepper and salt and cook for about 1 minute. Turn off the heat and let sit.
- Drain the potatoes and green beans once done and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Drizzle the garlic mixture over the top of the green beans and potatoes and toss.
- Serve warm.