Spicy portobello mushroom tacos
This dish is a vegetarian's Taco Tuesday dream come true. Fresh sautéed mushrooms piled high on a fresh tortilla and smothered in a homemade spicy sauce. Hello delicious.
I'm normally a meat in my tacos kind of girl. However, after I made this recipe I realized that meat doesn't always have to be the star of the show. These tacos are packed full of sautéed mushrooms, onions and peppers. I kept the seasoning on the vegetables minimal because there is a lot of flavor from the avocado sauce and salsa.
Spicy portobello mushroom tacos with avocado sauce recipe
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds sliced portobello mushrooms
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 6 small flour tortillas
- 6 tablespoons hot salsa
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese
- In a large high-sided skillet set over medium heat, add olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add mushrooms, yellow onion, red bell pepper and green bell pepper.
- After the vegetables start to soften, and the mushrooms start releasing their juice, add in garlic and continue cooking until soft.
- When vegetables are cooked, season with salt and pepper.
- While your vegetables are cooking make the avocado sauce.
- In a blender, add ripe avocado, Sriracha and sour cream. Blend until smooth, season with desired salt and pepper.
- Lay out tortillas and spread spicy avocado sauce onto each tortilla.
- Top with 1 tablespoon salsa and 2 tablespoons cheese per tortilla.
- Fill each taco with equal amount of filling and top with extra Sriracha if desired.