Paleo doesn’t have to mean the end of dessert. This blueberry crisp proves it!
The Paleo diet is all the rage lately. While I’m not going to eat like a caveman for the rest of my life (life’s too short to live without ice cream), I did dabble in it last year quite a bit. When you’re eliminating dairy and grains, you might think dessert is nearly impossible, but this blueberry crisp proves that wrong. It’s sweet and delicious with a paleo-friendly topping that passes for a crisp with ease. If you’re not worried about your dairy intake, by all means, throw a scoop of ice cream on top!
Skillet Paleo blueberry crisp recipe
For the filling
- 1-1/2 pints fresh blueberries
- 1/2 orange, zested
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder (or cornstarch if you don’t need it to be Paleo)
For the topping
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons cashew flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a cast iron skillet or baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients for the filling, toss together and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for the topping and cut the coconut oil into the mixture with either your fingers or a fork until crumbly in texture.
- Spoon the filling into the skillet and sprinkle the topping on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes until bubbly.
- Remove and serve warm.