Break out the skillet: Paleo blueberry crisp
Paleo doesn't have to mean the end of dessert. This blueberry crisp proves it!
The Paleo diet is all the rage lately. While I'm not going to eat like a caveman for the rest of my life (life's too short to live without ice cream), I did dabble in it last year quite a bit. When you're eliminating dairy and grains, you might think dessert is nearly impossible, but this blueberry crisp proves that wrong. It's sweet and delicious with a paleo-friendly topping that passes for a crisp with ease. If you're not worried about your dairy intake, by all means, throw a scoop of ice cream on top!
Skillet Paleo blueberry crisp recipe
For the filling
- 1-1/2 pints fresh blueberries
- 1/2 orange, zested
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder (or cornstarch if you don't need it to be Paleo)
For the topping
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons cashew flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a cast iron skillet or baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients for the filling, toss together and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for the topping and cut the coconut oil into the mixture with either your fingers or a fork until crumbly in texture.
- Spoon the filling into the skillet and sprinkle the topping on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes until bubbly.
- Remove and serve warm.