You guys, seriously. Papaya soup. It’s the bomb.
On a recent trip to Fiji, I happened upon a little secret — a luscious, warm, silky delight called papaya soup. No, it is not a gazpacho. And no, it is not sweet. It is creamy and savory and floats over your tongue like a symphony. Think butternut squash, but with a robust yet beautiful and light flavor that begs for summer slurping. Thanks to very simple, fresh and healthy ingredients, it also packs an added health punch. Papaya is loaded with antioxidants and digestive enzymes, both of which can prevent heart disease and colon cancer.
Photo credit: Foodcollection RF/Getty Images
Many thanks to the staff of Taveuni Palms Resort for sharing their recipe with me.
Papaya soup recipe
- 1 medium ripe papaya
- 1 chopped onion
- 4 crushed garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup fresh homemade chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups coconut milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a pan, sauté the butter, onions and garlic until soft.
- Add the papaya and stock, and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool.
- In a food processor, blend the cooled ingredients until smooth, and then return them to the heat in a pot.
- Add the coconut milk, salt and pepper, to taste. Heat, and then serve in 1/2 a papaya.