Blood oranges are the star of winter citrus — perfect for a refreshing spritzer.
Every winter I fall for them. Their gorgeous deep red flesh somehow seduces me into throwing them into my cart and happily paying three times more than what a normal orange costs. Blood oranges don’t taste dramatically different from their navel cousins, but they sure do look a heck of a lot more spectacular.
This mocktail spritzer is refreshing, bubbly and has just a hint of tartness. You definitely won’t miss or need the booze, but a splash of vodka wouldn’t be the worst decision in the world either.
Blood orange ginger spritzer recipe
- Juice from 1-1/2 blood oranges
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 2-1/2 cups ginger ale or ginger brew
- Ice cubes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Zest of 1 blood orange
- Place sugar and zest on a small flat plate and mix together with your fingertips to combine the zest and sugar.
- Wet the rim of two glasses and dip into the sugar/zest mixture, rolling back and forth a few times so that it sticks to the rim of the glass.
- Place 3-4 ice cubes in each glass.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the blood orange juice, lime juice and honey.
- Pour the mixture evenly into both glasses.
- Top with the ginger ale and enjoy!