Gluten-free Friday: Tortilla chip-crusted baked chicken tenders with honey-yogurt dip
Standard chicken gets a little crunch with a tasty coating of corn tortilla chips. These tenders are baked and ready for the flavorful dipping sauce.
This Gluten-free Friday recipe for tortilla chip-crusted baked chicken tenders with honey-yogurt dip has a bit of Southwestern flair to it. The crunchy coating is made with crumbled up corn tortilla chips (so save the broken bits at the bottom of the bag), and the dip includes cilantro and a touch of chili powder for some zing.
If you'd like, serve these tenders with salsa as a dip or even your favorite barbecue sauce. They're easy to make, and I really like the fact that they're baked. Another bonus: unlike some drive-thru chicken tenders, I know how these are made.
Gluten can be found in many different foods and products, from ketchup to soy sauce to candy and seasonings. While SheKnows.com tries to ensure these recipes are gluten-free, carefully read the ingredient labels of all food and food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are also gluten-free.
Tortilla chip-crusted baked chicken tenders with honey-yogurt dip recipe
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups corn tortilla chips
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
- 1 cup plain Greek-style yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Add the yogurt, honey, lime juice, cilantro and chili powder to a bowl and mix to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place the chicken pieces in a large, sealable plastic bag and close it. Pound the chicken to about 1-inch thick, using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- Remove from the bag and season the chicken with the salt and black pepper on both sides. Set aside.
- Add the corn tortilla chips to a separate large, sealable plastic bag and close it. Use a clean rolling pin to break the chips into small crumbles. You could also put them in a food processor and pulse until crumbled. Add the Parmesan cheese to the bag and shake to mix well.
- Add the gluten-free baking flour to a shallow bowl. Add the egg to a shallow bowl, and pour the chip mixture into a third shallow bowl. Place the bowls near the baking sheet.
- One at a time, dip the chicken pieces into the flour first, then the egg and allow the excess to drip off back into the bowl. Place the piece of chicken into the chip mixture and lightly pat them onto both sides of the chicken.
- Place the chicken on the baking sheet and lightly spray the tops with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 15-18 minutes, flipping the chicken once halfway through cooking, until done.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm with the dip.
You’ll cheer for these baked chicken tenders!