This easy sausage and quinoa bake is a healthier version of the traditional sausage and peppers.
Sausage and peppers was a go-to family meal in our house growing up. This easy bake takes the idea and puts a healthier spin on it by loading it up with protein-packed quinoa and throwing some extra vegetables in the mix with some green beans. Not a green bean fan? You can pretty much substitute any frozen vegetable. Broccoli, cauliflower and peas would all be great alternatives.
Quinoa, green bean & sausage bake recipe
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- Dash red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 pound frozen green beans
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (any color or variety)
- Crumbled feta, for serving
- In a large sauce pot over medium-high heat, cook the sausage for 5-7 minutes until no longer pink, breaking it into small pieces with a wooden spoon or spatula. Transfer to a dish and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to the pot, then add the red peppers, onion, salt and pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook for 5 minutes until the vegetables are softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the diced tomatoes and tomato paste, stir to combine and coat everything with the paste. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the frozen green beans, toss together with the mixture and cook another 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Return the sausage to the pot and add the cooked quinoa. Toss to combine and transfer to a baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake in a 350 degree F oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, top with crumbled feta and serve.