These egg rolls are filled with vegetables, fresh lemongrass, garlic and spicy ginger, then fried to a deep golden brown. Served with fun dipping sauces, these are a wonderful starter for an Asian-themed dinner.
Veggies, garlic, fresh lemongrass and ginger are stuffed into egg roll wrappers and fried. Lemongrass gives these rolls a citrus flavor while the ginger lends a sweet and spicy bite. I love basic condiments such as peanut sauce, but I decided to get a little more creative and serve 2 unique dips instead of the traditional ones here. Choose from the sweet and spicy apricot dipping sauce, the honey lime soy dipping sauce or both. They are a wonderful complement to these tasty rolls.
Crispy garlic ginger lemongrass veggie egg rolls recipe
For the egg rolls
- 8 egg roll wrappers
- 1 tablespoon plus 4 cups peanut oil for frying
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small piece fresh lemongrass, chopped
- 1 large chunk (1 inch or larger) fresh ginger, minced
- 2 cups shredded Napa cabbage
- 1/2 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- Small bowl of water
For the spicy apricot dipping sauce
- 1/4 apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Dash of Sriracha sauce
For the honey lime soy dipping sauce
- 1-2 tablespoon honey
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- For the spicy apricot dip, add all of the ingredients into a bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- For the honey lime dip, add all the ingredients into a bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large pan, add 1 tablespoon of the peanut oil. Add garlic, ginger cabbage, carrots and bean sprouts, cooking about 3-4 minutes and stirring frequently.
- Place an egg roll wrapper on a flat surface and add 1 tablespoon of the vegetable mixture into a corner of the wrapper. Carefully roll the edge of the wrapper around the vegetables and folding the two side corners in toward the middle of the wrapper. Tightly roll the up the egg roll and, with your finger, moisten the edge of the egg roll wrapper with water, making sure the roll is completely sealed. Repeat with remaining egg rolls.
- Once all egg rolls are assembled, add the 4 cups of peanut oil to a large pan or a wok and set the heat to medium-high.
- Place several egg rolls into the oil and allow them to cook but be careful to not overcrowd. Fry for 2-3 minutes or until a deep golden brown color. Remove from the oil and cool on paper towels. Best served warm with one or both of the dipping sauces.
You can find lemongrass at almost any Asian market. If you have trouble locating fresh, you can always substitute dried.