Chili cheese dog bites you need for your tailgate
Don't forget to invite these mini chili cheese dogs to your Super Bowl party. They'll be the life of the party.
I don't know about you, but I love to eat when I'm at a Super Bowl party. And when I spot chili cheese dogs up for grabs, you can definitely count me in. These mini dogs are a perfect game day appetizer not only because they're an American classic, but also because they taste SO darn good. Did I mention how easy these are to make? It's a good thing too because your guests will eat them up so fast you'll need to keep making more.
Mini chili cheese dog recipe
Serves 10 to 12
For the chili
- 1 (4 ounce) package Carroll Shelby's Chili Mix
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can cut tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked ground beef or ground turkey
- 2 cups water
For the mini chili cheese dogs
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes (heaping)
- 2 avocados, chopped
- 2 cups chopped green onions, including the green part
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add all ingredients to an oval roasting pan and stir together.
- Bake in a preheated oven until desired thickness is reached (about 1 hour).
- If you prefer a thinner chili, add more water until desired consistency is reached.
- Cook the hot dogs on a grill or boil them in water.
- Put each hot dog in a bun.
- Cut each hot dog (and bun) in thirds.
- Top each hot dog with the hot chili either right out of the oven or reheated before use.
- Add the cheese over the hot chili.
- Top with the tomatoes, avocado and green onions.
- Serve the extra chili in small bowls for your guests to enjoy.