Garlic cashew chicken casserole
Who doesn't love Chinese take-out? We took all the flavors and turned it into a make-at-home casserole, complete with the crunchy noodle topping.
Take-out Chinese is an all-too-often occurrence in our house. Of course it's tasty and the perfect thing to dig into in front of the TV without having a single dirty dish in the sink, but the multiple middle-of-the-night wake-ups dying of thirst from all the salt always make me regret the decision. This casserole takes all the Chinese take-out flavor without the truckloads of sodium, bakes it up in one big dish and gives you the best of both worlds. A guaranteed family-pleaser!
Garlic cashew chicken casserole recipe
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut in small strips
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 large head bok choy, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1/3 cup cashews, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup chow mein noodles, broken into pieces
- Chopped green onions for garnish
- Whisk together the broth, ginger, soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch, red pepper flakes and black pepper in small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the chicken strips until fully cooked and no longer pink. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion, red pepper, carrot, celery and bok choy to the skillet and saute for about 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic and cook an additional 1 minute.
- Add the sauce to the skillet, stir and cook for about 3 minutes until the sauce is bubbling and starts to thicken.
- Add the cooked chicken and rice to the skillet and toss together to coat everything with the sauce.
- Transfer the mixture to a greased deep ovenproof baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, add the cashews and chow mein noodles on top and return to the oven for another 3 minutes until they start to brown.
- Remove and garnish with green onions before serving.