This favorite take-out meal is so easy to make, and it’s packed with great flavor and color. It’s a healthy dish that’s perfect for Meatless Monday.
Nothing beats the taste or color of fresh vegetables as part of a nutritious meal. This Meatless Monday recipe for carrot and kale stir-fry is a great example! It’s a simple dish, but the flavors are amazing.
This is a pretty dish to serve for company or your family. The golden carrots brighten things up against the dark green of the kale. If you’d like to use a prepared stir-fry mixture, you certainly could, but what I used here was easy to put together, and you can control the flavors you use.
Carrot and kale stir-fry recipe
- 16 ounces kale, washed and bottom inch of stems cut off
- 3 large carrots, skin peeled, then cut into spirals
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha or other hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups cooked rice
- Toasted sesame seeds as garnish (optional)
- After washing and trimming the kale, tear it into large 4-inch pieces. To cut the carrots into spirals use a spiral peeler. If you don’t have a spiral peeler, you can julienne cut them. Set the vegetables aside.
- To make the sauce, combine the soy sauce, broth, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, vinegar, sesame oil, Sriracha and lemon juice in a bowl. Mix well to combine and set aside.
- Add about 4 cups of water to a pot and bring it to a boil. When it boils, add the kale, submerge it in the water and cook it for 2-3 minutes. Drain the kale and set it aside.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the carrots and cook, stirring for a minute or so to soften them. Use tongs to add the kale to the skillet. Mix together.
- Add the sauce to the skillet and increase the heat. Cook, stirring, for a few minutes, then remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the cooked rice to individual plates and top each with the kale and carrot mixture. Spoon a bit of the sauce over the top, and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Serve this stir-fry for a lovely meal!