Creamy, dreamy butterscotch coffee will make your morning way better
Your morning coffee fix just got a little bit sweeter. With a hint of butterscotch, this light and sweet flavored coffee will make it easier to wake up in the morning.
Starbucks addiction aside, flavored coffee shouldn't and doesn't have to cost you $5 a drink. This simple drink combines homemade butterscotch, hot coffee and just a touch of whipped cream — using inexpensive ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen cabinets.
Butterscotch coffee recipe
Butterscotch recipe slightly adapted from Smitten Kitchen
Yields 2/3 cup butterscotch, 1 coffee drink
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup regular or decaf coffee
- Whipped cream
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat.
- Add in the brown sugar, heavy cream and salt.
- Using a whisk, mix together until the mixture reaches a slight boil, whisking every minute.
- Let the mixture cook for 5 minutes, and then remove from the heat.
- Stir in the vanilla bean paste, pour the sauce into a heatproof bowl, and let cool.
- Add 1 – 2 tablespoons of the homemade butterscotch to a coffee mug, and top with hot coffee. Add a splash of cream, and top with whipped cream, if desired.
- If you like things boozy, add 1 ounce of Scotch whisky to the mixture.
Note: You can use the homemade butterscotch on ice cream too!
More coffee recipes
Updated by Bethany Ramos on 3/16/16