There’s no better way to start your new year off than with a big dose of black-eyed peas in crispy fritters with a spicy sauce. Hello delicious.
Black-eyed peas are known to bring good luck and fortune to whomever devours them on New Year’s Day. We are giving you all that luck and turning it into a crispy fritter — crunchy on the outside and soft in the inside. This is going to be one delicious year.
Black-eyed pea fritters recipe
Adapted from Food Network
Yield 6 servings
- 24 ounces canned black-eyed peas, rinsed
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- In a food processor, add black-eyed peas, eggs, salt, cumin, garlic powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper and cilantro.
- Process until smooth. Pour into a bowl and mix in flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- Shape into fritters. We like a flatter fritter, because they fry up faster.
- In a large high-sided skillet, add 1/2 inch vegetable oil and heat over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add fritters, cook until lightly browned, flip and cook until other side is lightly browned.
- Serve with spicy tomato sauce.
Spicy tomato sauce recipe
Yield 1 cup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- Pinch kosher salt
- In a high-sided skillet set over medium heat, add olive oil.
- When the oil is hot, add onion, garlic, and crushed red pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the onion is soft.
- Add crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, sugar and salt. Simmer, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until the sauce is thickened and flavorful.
- If the flavor of the sauce is too acidic, simply add another 1/4 teaspoon sugar.