This traditional, Spanish-style dish goes vegan with soy chorizo added to the mix. Throw in a few favorite veggies, and this dish becomes an amazing meal!
Vegan paella with soy chorizo is a one-skillet meal that simmers on the stove top. Get ready as you lift the lid from the skillet, because the aromas that arise will surely make your mouth water!
As a traditional Spanish-style dish, rice is always present in paella recipes, and you’ll usually find saffron in the mix, too. However, paella is often made with seafood or different types of meats. For this vegan dish, I’ve included soy chorizo to give it added texture and flavor.
One of the great things about paella is that you basically mix together the ingredients, let them simmer, then dig in! You can easily double this recipe so you have leftovers to enjoy the next day.
Vegan foods are made without any animal or animal-derived products. Carefully check the packaging labels of food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are vegan.
Vegan paella with soy chorizo recipe
- 6 ounces vegan soy chorizo crumbles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper, cut into about 1-inch long pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 ounces diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- Add the soy chorizo to a large skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until heated through. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to the skillet. When hot, add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the onion begins to soften. Add the red pepper, salt, and black pepper and cook for another few minutes.
- Pour the wine into the skillet and add the garlic. Cook for several minutes, stirring, until the liquid absorbs.
- Add the tomatoes and juice to the skillet, along with the broth, saffron threads and rice. Stir.
- Reduce the heat to simmer and cover the skillet. Cook for about 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the liquid is almost completely absorbed.
- Just before the paella is finished cooking, add the chorizo and peas, mix and continue to cook for a few minutes more.
- Serve hot in individual bowls.
This paella dish is sure to please!