Ginger and chicken soup
Ginger gives this chicken soup a wonderful flavor, and there is also an unexpected addition of green papaya to accompany it. It's comforting and refreshing all at once.
Chicken soup is magical because it is everyone's comfort food. It's like a cozy blanket that warms us up on those cold days. With this soup — enriched with ginger, green papaya and fish sauce — a whole world of Asian flavors opens to us.
Ginger and chicken soup recipe
- Olive oil
- 2 inches ginger, slightly crushed
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 pieces chicken (we used 2 drumsticks and 2 thighs)
- 1 quart water
- 1/2 small green papaya, peeled and sliced (can be replaced with 2 zucchini or 1 chayote)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- Chili leaves (can be replaced with spinach)
- Moringa leaves (optional)
- Over medium heat, in a saucepan with a little olive oil, sautè the ginger and onion.
- After about 4 minutes, add the chicken and brown both sides.
- Add the water and bring to a boil. After it boils, lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the papaya and the fish sauce. Simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the leaves at the end of cooking. Turn off the heat.
- Serve with steamed white rice and a dipping sauce of calamansi lemons or regular lemons mixed with fish sauce.