I dream of Buffalo chicken when I sleep. I know, sounds a little crazy right? But I absolutely crave the spicy kick from the Buffalo sauce. Since winter is all about soups in my house, I decided to turn my love for Buffalo chicken into a cozy soup I can slurp from a spoon.
This will soon be your favorite winter soup. That might sound presumptuous, but I promise, it’s just me being honest. Each sip has an incredible spice and with the perfect mix-ins of chicken, celery, carrots and cheese. And to top it all off, it’s garnished with a fluffy steamed dumpling. Comfort food in a whole new way.
Buffalo beer soup with fluffy cheddar dumplings
Serves about 4
For the soup
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and chopped
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 large celery stalks, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup light beer
- 1/2 cup Buffalo wing sauce
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt, pepper and cilantro for garnish
For the biscuits
- 2 cups Bisquick
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery and carrots. Cook the vegetables until they are soft and fragrant, about 5-7 minutes. Add the chicken, chicken broth, beer and Buffalo wing sauce. Cover and let simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir in salt, pepper and cilantro.
- Meanwhile, mix the Bisquick, milk, cilantro, salt, pepper and cheddar cheese. Scoop the Bisquick mixture on top of the soup. Cover the mixture and cook about 8 minutes. Remove the cover and cook another 6-8 minutes, or until the biscuits are soft and fluffy. Sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper.
- Serve warm with crusty bread and enjoy!