For a Meatless Monday dish, a shepherd’s pie brings heartiness and full flavors to the table. Lentils and veggies in the mix keep things healthy and tasty!
Make your mealtime prep easy on a Meatless Monday. This recipe for lentil and veggie shepherd’s pie brings convenience to your kitchen without sacrificing heartiness and rich flavors.
Next time you’re at the grocery store, look for canned lentils. It’s super-easy to simply pop open a can and use them in your favorite recipes like this one, especially when you’re strapped for time.
Another time-saver for this dish: instant mashed potatoes (you could use the real-deal if you’d prefer). Once in a while, it’s helpful to use certain prepared foods — especially when it comes to hectic Mondays! Lentil and veggie shepherd’s pie is a great one-dish meal that’s healthy and hearty.
Lentil and veggie shepherd’s pie
- 3 servings instant mashed potatoes, prepared
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced white onion
- 1/4 cup carrot, cut in thin slices
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1-2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 (15 ounce) can lentils, drained and rinsed
- 2-3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare the instant mashed potatoes according to the package directions, then set them aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a large saute pan over medium heat. When hot, add the onion, carrot, salt and pepper, and cook for about 4 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Mix in the mushrooms, garlic, thyme and tomato paste. Cook for a few minutes, then add the Worcestershire sauce, vegetable broth and white wine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer. Mix in the lentils, and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a baking dish. Spoon the mashed potatoes evenly over the mixture, in a thin layer.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top of the mashed potatoes.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the mixture bubbles through and the potatoes turn golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow the dish to sit for a few minutes.
- Serve hot in individual bowls.
More Meatless Monday recipes
Chickpea and black lentil salad with feta
Roasted beet salad with tangerine-rosemary vinaigrette