This decadent version of french fries is covered in a creamy cheese sauce and topped off with sweet caramelized onions.
This isn’t just any plate of fries. These are loaded with flavor. When I visit my favorite burger joint, they sell a similar version of this dish that I’ve recreated at home. I jazzed up plain fries by adding thousand island dressing, a rich and creamy cheese sauce and topped it off with delicious caramelized onions. Rather than using plain or raw onions, caramelized onions add a rich deep sweetness.
Smothered cheese fries with caramelized onions recipe
- 1 (22 ounce) bag frozen french fries
- 1 cup cheese sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 cup thousand island dressing
- 1 cup finely diced caramelized onions (see note below)
- Chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the fries out evenly on the baking sheet and prepare as directed on the package.
- While the fries are baking, add the cheese sauce to a small pot and warm over medium heat. Once the fries are done slowly pour the warm cheese sauce over the fries.
- Spoon the thousand island dressing and caramelized onions on top and sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley. Best when served warm.
To make 1 cup caramelized onions, start with 3 cups of sliced raw onions. Over medium heat, cook the onions in 2 tablespoons of butter until the onions are a deep, dark brown color. This process can take up to 30 minutes. Remember to stir the onions frequently to prevent sticking and burning.