Sunday dinner: Thai coconut chicken soup with rice
A filling and flavorful soup for Sunday dinner is within reach. This recipe is easy to make with Thai-inspired ingredients that are easy to find.
This Sunday dinner recipe for Thai coconut chicken soup with rice is overflowing with fragrant flavors. The coconut milk brings richness to the dish, while the ginger, lime zest and cilantro add an aromatic touch. This is a thick soup that will satisfy.
Thai coconut chicken soup with rice recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, chopped into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed into 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more once soup has cooked
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup cut green beans
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded, membrane removed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 cup white rice, uncooked
- 7 ounces unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to a large stockpot. When hot, add the onion and cook until translucent (about 4 minutes).
- Add the chicken to the pot, stirring for a few minutes. Add the chicken broth, 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Cook, boiling, for another 3 minutes or so. Reduce the heat to medium, add the green beans, red pepper, water, sugar, ginger and rice.
- Continue cooking for 12-15 minutes, or until the rice is tender. Add the coconut milk to the mixture and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the lime zest and cilantro. Taste and add more salt, as needed.
- Serve hot garnished with a few pieces of fresh cilantro.
Serve up this flavorful soup for Sunday dinner!