Quick chicken and potato soup
A fast, grain-free twist on classic chicken noodle soup.
This chicken and potato soup is ideal for a weeknight meal, thanks to the help of store-bought (or previously homemade) chicken stock and pre-cooked chicken — perfect for leftovers from a roast! Clean up is easy, too, because everything comes together in one pot.
It's inspired by the classic chicken noodle soup, subbing in gluten-free potatoes for the noodles. The flavors of carrot, celery, onion and fresh parsley bring to mind the traditional soup and all its comforts.
As written, the potatoes keep their skins both to save time and nutrients, but if you prefer you can peel them.
Easy chicken and potato soup
This comforting soup comes together quickly, reheats beautifully and is a hit with kids and adults alike!
- 2 medium potatoes, scrubbed and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 celery stalks, washed and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups Tyson® Grilled & Ready® Fully Cooked Chicken Breast Strips, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese for serving (optional)
- Coat the bottom of a soup pot or Dutch oven with olive oil and place over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the potatoes and a big pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Add the carrot, celery and onion and a big pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until the onions are translucent and the potatoes and carrots are easily pierced with a fork. Stir in the chicken and another pinch of salt and pepper and cook just until the chicken is heated through.
- Add the chicken stock and increase the heat to high. Bring the soup to a boil, stir in the fresh parsley and remove from the heat. Taste for seasoning and add salt or pepper as desired. Serve warm. Optional: Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.