Spicy sweet potato turkey chili with honey cornbread
Lean ground turkey is added to a slow cooker and cooked with sweet potatoes, black beans and spicy jalapeños. Served with honey cornbread, this is a warm, inviting dish. This chili is not only healthy, it's also simple to prepare.
If you are looking for a great comforting dish for your family, look no further. When it's cold outside nothing is better than a hearty bowl of chili. If you don't like spicy food we recommend you omit the jalapeños.
Spicy sweet potato turkey chili with honey cornbread recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground turkey breast
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 2 fresh jalapeños
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and the ground turkey. Using a spoon, break the turkey apart so that it cooks evenly. Cook the turkey until it is not longer pink and add to the bowl of the slow cooker.
- Combine all of the remaining ingredients to your slow cooker and stir to mix well. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or until the sweet potatoes are tender. Garnish with desired toppings and best served warm.
Honey cornbread recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4-1/2 cup honey (depending on desired sweetness)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and grease an 8-inch baking pan or casserole dish.
- In a large bowl add the butter and honey mixing well. Add in the eggs and beat until well blended
- Add in the remaining ingredients and mix very well. Pour batter into the greased pan and bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown and the center is cooked completely. Cut into squares and serve with chili.