This delicious whiskey cake recipe cooks low and slow and is the perfect special something to display on your dessert table this holiday season.
Wonderful with coffee, tea or after-dinner aperitifs… these small whiskey cakes make an excellent hostess gift too. Your house will smell amazing while they’re baking in the oven.
Whiskey cake recipe
Makes 5 small loaf cakes
- 1 pound unsalted butter (4 sticks), room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs separated, lightly beat the yolks and the whites
- 3/4 cup whiskey
- 4 cups flour, sifted
- 3 cups chopped pecans
- 2 cups golden raisins
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon or nutmeg
- Place oven rack into the center and preheat oven to 300 degrees F (pure convection if possible).
- Using an electric hand or stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Mix in beaten egg yolks.
- Stir in whiskey alternating with sifted flour, lightly beating as you do until just combined.
- Add beaten egg whites and lightly beat or fold them in until just combined.
- Stir in pecans and raisins, cinnamon or nutmeg.
- Spoon batter into 5 greased small loaf pans (fill all the way to the top as these will not rise much).
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Seal in airtight container in preparation for Christmas. (Whiskey flavor intensifies as it sits.)
It is fine to use a large Bundt cake pan or 2 regular-size loaf pans for this recipe, you will simply have to increase the cook time to about 2 hours or until an inserted knife or chopstick comes out of the center clean.