Spicy red beans & rice bowl
Whip up a spicy red beans and rice bowl for a hearty meal on a cold day. This makes a great vegetarian main course or the perfect side dish alongside grilled chicken or pork chops.
Sometimes the simplest ingredients create the best recipes. Here we took red kidney beans and simmered them in vegetable broth, spices, onions and garlic. This fragrant mixture is then combined with rice to make a complete meal. Not only delicious, this dish is vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy free.
Spicy red beans & rice bowl recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 (15-1/2 ounce cans) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth or chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon creole type seasoning
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (if you don’t like spice omit)
- 3 cups cooked white or brown rice
- 3 thinly sliced green onions for garnish (optional)
- In a medium pot, add the olive oil and warm over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook stirring frequently until softened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add in the minced garlic, beans, vegetable broth and the seasonings. Cover the pot and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in the cooked rice and garnish with the green onions. Serve immediately.