These fancy schmancy caramel apples have a lot to be cheery about. You’d be dancing around the plate too if you were all dolled up with holiday sprinkles and made of caramel and white chocolate.
These caramel apples are so jazzed up with white chocolate and festive Christmas candies that they just can’t sit still on the plate. For fun, try decorating the sticks with colorful shiny ribbon to give the caramel apples even more holiday cheer. They make wonderful gifts, too. But watch out if you have Christmas music playing, they’ll be dancing on the plate, in unison!
Christmas caramel apples recipe
Adapted from Kraft Easy Caramel Apples
Yields 5 caramel apples
- 5 small to medium Granny Smith apples, washed, well dried and stems removed
- 1 (11 ounce) package Kraft caramel bits
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Assorted holiday sprinkles
- 5 bamboo lollipop sticks or wooden pop sticks
- Waxed paper
- Cooking spray
- Red and green curling ribbon
- Insert 1 stick into the stem end of each apple.
- Cover a large plate with waxed paper and the waxed paper with cooking spray.
- In a medium microwavable bowl, add the caramel bits and water.
- Gradually heat the bits in the microwave at 30 second intervals until completely melted. Stir the bits in between each interval to check on the consistency and to make sure they doesn’t overcook.
- Alternatively, place the bits in a medium saucepan. Add the water and cook on medium-low heat 3 minutes or until the bits are completely melted. Stir constantly.
- Dip the apples into the melted caramel until evenly coated. Spoon the caramel over the top part of the apple around the area where the stick is.
- Let the excess caramel drip off of the bottom of the apple.
- Use the back of a spoon to gently scrape the excess caramel off the bottom of the apple. Place the apple on the prepared plate and let the caramel cool for at least an hour.
- Add the white chocolate chips in a small bowl and warm them in the microwave at about 20 second intervals until completely melted. Stir in between intervals to check the consistency and make sure they doesn’t overcook.
- Using a spoon, drizzle the white chocolate over the apples, one at a time. Right after adding the chocolate, sprinkle the holiday candies on the apple so they’ll stick to the melted chocolate.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Remove from the refrigerator about 15 minutes before serving.
- Once the apples have cooled, wrap and tie pieces of the curling ribbon to the sticks.
- Store any leftover apples in the refrigerator.