Get the best of both comfort food worlds in one bowl.
Pasta and chili are both go-to comfort meals when we’re craving something warm, hearty and easy, so why not combine them into one killer bowl of comfort? The whole family is sure to love this easy meal!
Tortellini chili recipe
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon hot chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups chicken or beef broth
- 1 (8 ounce) package tortellini
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the carrot, onion and garlic to the pot and cook for about 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the ground meat, breaking up into pieces with a wooden spoon or spatula and cook for about 5-7 minutes until completely browned. Drain the excess liquid/fat from the pot.
- Add the chipotle pepper and spices and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the diced tomatoes, beans and broth. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and let cook uncovered.
- At this point, cook the tortellini in a separate pot of boiling water. Only cook for half the time stated on the directions (about 5 minutes). You want them very al dente.
- Drain the tortellini and add them to the pot with the chili.
- Stir to combine and reduce heat to the lowest setting until ready to serve.
- Garnish with sour cream, cilantro and cheddar cheese if desired.