Sauerkraut and sausage mini pies
That inseparable duo of sauerkraut and sausage come together in these delectable winter pies.
These mini-pies with German-inspired flavors are absolutely delicious! The strong combination of sauerkraut, sausage and cheese is surprisingly great. Give your family and friends this special treat!
Sauerkraut and sausage pie recipe
Yields 5 single pies
- 2 knobs of butter
- 2 (about 8 ounces each) sheets puff pastry
- 4 ounces pancetta (replace with bacon if you cannot find it), diced
- 8 ounces (about 2 big pieces) German sausages, diced
- Olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 ounces sauerkraut
- 1 tablespoon honey (or more if needed)
- 2 ounces medium-strong cheese, grated or finely chopped
- 1 egg, whisked
- In 5 individual baking dishes, rub a knob of butter. Preheat the oven to 390 degrees F.
- Using a round food cutter that corresponds to the size of the baking dishes, cut 5 pieces of the puff pastry to fit the bottom and sides of the pie and another 5 pieces to serve as the covers of the pies which are smaller. Place all the cut puff pastries for the bottom in the baking dishes.
- In a dry saucepan (no oil), toast the pancetta. After 1 minute, add the sausages. Toast them together for about 3 minutes or until cooked through. Set them aside.
- In the same saucepan, wipe away, with a kitchen paper towel, the oil that remained from the sausages and pancetta. Add some olive oil and a knob of butter.
- Saute the onion for 1 minute. Add the sauerkraut and cook for 3 minutes. Add the honey. Cook them for 10 minutes.
- Mix in the pancetta and sausages. Adjust the taste with salt and more honey if the sauerkraut is too sour. Cook them for 5 minutes together with the sauerkraut.
- Fill up the pies with the sauerkraut then add the cheese on top. Close the pies with the cut puff pastry. Pinch the sides of the puff pastries together to close the pies.
- Brush the top of the pies with the egg wash.
- Cook in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
Quantity can change depending on the size of the baking dishes and the puff pastries.