Quick chipotle beef stroganoff
A quick, classic dinner gets a spicy makeover.
Beef stroganoff is actually a really quick stove-top meal that can be made in just 20 minutes, perfect for weeknight meals. We're spicing this version up with some chipotle peppers to give the classic dish a bit of a kick.
Quick chipotle beef stroganoff recipe
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound boneless beef chuck steaks, thinly sliced
- 10 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 chipotles in adobo sauce, pureed in a food processor (reduce to 2 chipotles for a less spicy dish)
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Cilantro and/or green onions, chopped for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, add the egg noodles and cook according to the package directions. Drain, toss with the butter and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Once hot, add the sliced steak and cook for about 5 minutes until browned on both sides. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Drain the liquid from the skillet, reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add the mushrooms, onions and garlic and cook for about 5-7 minutes until softened.
- Add the thyme, salt and pepper and stir.
- Add the pureed chipotles, beef broth and the meat with its juices. Stir to combine.
- Add the sour cream and stir to incorporate. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Plate the noodles and spoon the beef mixture on top.
- Garnish with the cilantro and/or green onions.