Perfectly smooth pureed winter squash mixed with sweet spices is paired with a huge cheesy crouton.
Winter is all about sitting around the table and enjoying big bowls of hearty soup. This simple soup combines warm seasonings and fresh winter squash. It’s creamy, comforting and perfect for snowy winter nights.
Winter squash soup with cheesy bread croutons recipe
Slightly adapted from Smitten Kitchen
Serves about 6
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 pounds winter squash, peeled and small diced (butternut squash, acorn squash or a mixture of both)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large soup pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add in onion and garlic and saute until garlic is fragrant and onion is soft.
- Add in squash, thyme, paprika, ginger and chicken stock. Bring to a boil and simmer until the squash is fork tender.
- Puree soup in batches in a blender or use an immersion blender and puree in the soup pot.
- Once smooth, stir in cream and season with salt and pepper.
- You can leave the soup to warm on the stove but be careful to not let it burn because of the dairy.
- Serve with cheese croutons.
Cheese croutons recipe
- 6 slices crusty French bread
- Unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup shredded Italian blend cheese
- Lay out bread and lightly coat one side with butter.
- Toast lightly under broiler and then cover with cheese.
- Put back under the broiler and cooked until the cheese is melted and browned.
- Serve with soup.