Nothing is better than being able to play with your food. This sweet cupcake looks like a big cup of hot chocolate but tastes like a rich chocolate cupcake.
Hot chocolate in cupcake form? Well, it’s more like adorable cupcakes that look like a festive mug of hot chocolate. We added miniature candy cane handles and topped our cupcakes with a vanilla frosting, mini chocolate marshmallows and a dash of holiday sprinkles. These are no ordinary cupcakes!
Hot chocolate cupcakes
Yields about 48 mini cupcakes
- 1 box dark chocolate cake mix
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 48 mini candy canes
- 1/3 cup super mini marshmallows
- Holiday sprinkles
- Prepare dark chocolate cake mix according to box directions. Add to lined mini-cupcake trays and bake until fully cooked.
- Once all cupcakes have been made and cooled, start preparing the frosting.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer, add powdered sugar and butter. Mix on low until incorporated and then bring the speed to medium and mix for 3 minutes.
- Add in vanilla extract, peppermint extract and 1 tablespoon heavy cream. Blend until combined. Add more heavy cream until you reach desired consistency.
- Add frosting to a piping bag and pipe a dollop of frosting onto each cupcake.
- Add candy canes to the edge of the cupcake by securing the top into the cupcake.
- Add mini marshmallows and sprinkles to the top of each cupcake.