Spicy gingerbread loaf cake
This spicy gingerbread loaf cake is a sweet and flavorful way to start or end your day. You won't believe all the levels of ginger flavor that are packed into this cake.
Gingerbread isn't just for cookies. This sweet gingerbread loaf cake is full of Christmas flavor and topped with a fluffy cream cheese frosting. Plus we chopped up lots of crystallized ginger to sprinkle on top. Who doesn't love ginger?
Spicy gingerbread loaf cake recipe
Yields 1 9 x 5-inch cake
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped crystalized ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan, set aside.
- Add sugar and butter to the bowl of an electric mixer and mix until creamed.
- Add in egg, molasses and vanilla extract until fluffy and mixed well.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together white whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, ground ginger, apple pie spice, ground clove and kosher salt.
- Slowly add in flour to butter mixture. Mix on low until incorporated.
- Add in warm water, mix and pour into cake pan.
- Bake for about 65 minutes until fully cooked and a toothpick comes out clean when tested.
- While the cake is cooling start making the frosting.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer, add cream cheese, unsalted butter and vanilla bean paste.
- Mix until combined and slowly add in powdered sugar until fluffy.
- If the frosting is too thin add a bit more powdered sugar, if it's too thick thin out with a little bit of milk.
- Remove cooled cake from pan and spread frosting onto loaf cake. Sprinkle with chopped crystallized ginger.