Organic lean ground turkey is mixed with red peppers and sweet onions and blended with a rich and tangy sloppy Joe sauce. Stuff this mixture into wraps for one easy and delicious dinner idea.
We have all grown up to love the classic sloppy Joe sandwich, but here we make this into our own version. Using organic lean turkey breast and a homemade sloppy Joe sauce, this dinner could not be easier or more delicious. If you don’t like turkey, feel free to use whatever you have on hand such as ground beef or even ground chicken.
Healthy homemade sloppy Joe wraps recipe
- 6 whole grain tortillas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound organic lean ground turkey breast
- 1 small sweet onion, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1-1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar, pure maple syrup or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat, add the olive oil. Add in the onions and bell peppers, cooking several minutes until they have softened. Add in the ground turkey, breaking it up so that it cooks evenly and the insides are no longer pink.
- Stir in the ingredients for the sauce and reduce the heat to medium low. Cover the mixture and allow it to simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the sauce has thickened.
- Allow the mixture to cool slightly and divide between the 6 tortillas. Wrap each sandwich and serve warm.
If you want to save extra time or don’t want the hassles of making this sauce from scratch, substitute 1 (16 ounce) can of your favorite sloppy Joe sauce.