Crispy Parmesan parsnip fries
Eating healthy in the new year doesn't have to mean giving up your beloved fries. Get your fry fix minus the guilt with these parsnip fries.
Parsnips have a far better use than in soups and stews. Try them as fries! Chop these underrated root vegetables up like a fry and bake them to crispy perfection. With a bit of Parmesan and fresh parsley on top, you'll never miss the potatoes.
Crispy Parmesan parsnip fries recipe
- 5 large parsnips, peeled and cut into "fries"
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Toss the parsnips with the olive oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Arrange the parsnips on the baking sheets in a single layer. Do not overlap. If you don't have 2 baking sheets, do it in 2 batches rather than piling them all onto 1 baking sheet. This is key to the crispiness.
- Bake for 20 minutes, remove from oven and flip over.
- Bake for another 10 minutes, remove from oven and sprinkle half of the Parmesan on top of the parsnips.
- Return to oven for 1 minute until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven, let cool 2-3 minutes and then sprinkle the remaining cheese and chopped parsley on top. Serve immediately.